Brazilian "Picadinho de Carne" - (Beef Stew with Vegetables)
This is one of the most popular Brazilian dishes of all time, beef stew with some vegetables is an easy recipe that also goes well with rice. This can be a dish for dinner or lunch, in Brazil, it is a complete meal for any time.
This “Picadinho de Carne” is also perfect to eat with many combinations, like a piece of bread, and corn. The dish can be served with rice, beans, and farofa.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1hour 20 minutes
Quantity: 6 servings
309 calories per serving
- 1 lb beef stew cubed
- cumin – 1/2 tbsp
- garlic powder – 1/2 tbsp
- onion powder – 1/2 tbsp
- salt – 1 tsp
- ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- 1/2 large yellow onion small diced
- garlic cloves minced (three)
- red wine vinegar – 1 tbsp
- beef stock – 2 cups
- tomato paste – 1 tsp
- annatto powder -1 tsp
- 1 large Yukon potato – peel it and cut in cubes
- 1/2 medium butternut squash – deseed it and cut in cubes
- 2 carrots, peel it and slice it
- Cilantro – chopped 1/4 cup
- Let’s tart seasoning the beef with cumin, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Let it rest for 30 min.
- In a large pan, heat the oil ( at medium-heat) and sauté onion for 2 min, then you can add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds max. Add the beef and brown for 5 min max – you don’t want to burn it!.
- Add the vinegar to it and let evaporate, then, add the stock, the tomato, and the annatto. Now you ca put it on hot water, then cover the pan, make it reduce the heat until it reaches “low”. Let for 50 mins. Then you can add the veggies: potato, carrots, let simmer – covered – for 20 more min.
- Remove from the heat and serve it while still hot.