What is a Henna Tattoo? And how to make one?
What is a Henna Tattoo? And how to make one?
Not all tattoos require needles and a painful procedure to be made, as a henna tattoo is one of the exceptions. While most people have heard about henna tattoos because of their popularity, if you still want to clarify what is a henna tattoo along with knowing something more than the basic facts, you are exactly at the right place.
There are no boundaries when it comes to art, and henna tattooing is one of the kinds that many people across the globe love to get done on different parts of their bodies. However, most of them worry if Henna is safe to use on skin, and to get this query answered, you don’t have to look anywhere else as we have it covered for you.
What is a Henna Tattoo?
A henna tattoo is a different tattooing procedure that creates temporary tattoos on the skin using Henna, unlike the ones made through ink and leaves a permanent stain. This tattoo is made using Henna that is basically extracted from the henna plant. It is famous because of the lasting impression it has to offer, along with the intriguing designs created through it.
Through the years, the Henna has been known for being a natural dye for hair; however, it has become famous for creating body art through henna tattoos in recent times. In South Asian countries like India and Pakistan, no wedding is complete without women getting their hands stained with henna tattoos.
How to make Henna paste cones?
Follow these simple steps to make henna paste cone easily:
- Collect all the essentials required like fresh henna powder, essential oils, sugar, lemons, mixing bowl and spoon, etc.
- Add the required amount of henna powder that you want to make a paste of in the bowl.
- Start adding lemon juice into the powder until the consistency is something between pudding and toothpaste.
- Smash all the lumps before moving forward.
- Take half tsp of sugar and half tsp of essential oil and mix in the henna powder and lemon mixture.
- Keep stirring until the texture of the paste is silky.
- Cover the prepared mixture with plastic wrap and let it rest for almost 24 hours at room temperature.
- Once the time is complete, scoop out this henna paste into the applicator cone you will use.
How to apply Henna tattoo?
Now that the henna paste is made, here is what you need to do to apply the henna tattoo on your skin.
- Wash part of the skin that you will apply the tattoo on with soap and water and let it dry.
- Start creating the design you want to create by putting the tip of the cone on your skin.
- Let the design dry for at least thirty minutes. If you leave it for longer periods, you will get a better stain.
- Moisturize your skin after you wash off the stain.
- Avoid washing the body part with soaps if you want the stain to stay longer.
How long does Henna Tattoo last?
The longevity of the Henna tattoo depends on various factors. If you have applied the henna tattoo to a body part that is very much frequently exposed to soap and water, there are high chances that it will fade a bit quicker as compared to the other parts that are relatively less exposed. This makes it clear that hand tattoos last a little bit shorter than other body parts.
The henna tattoos last for almost seven to fourteen days depending on different factors like how long did you leave the paste on your skin, how consistent the henna paste was, and if some essential oils were used after application to leave henna tattoo for longer periods.
Black and Brown Henna:
When you check the market, you will find two kinds of henna cones, i.e., black or brown Henna. The majority of you may have got their hands on both of them without knowing the actual difference between these two.
No, the difference is not primarily related to the color of the stain, but it is mostly about the ingredients used to make these two henna cones. For the brown henna cone, the Henna is specifically derived from the henna plant. The same is the case with black Henna; however, there is an addition of various chemicals, out of which the most prominent one is PPD.
The PPD is usually added to give the darker stain that black Henna is majorly known for. However, this darker stain comes with some consequences too. This chemical can result in huge allergies on the skin and often of the times lead to cause skin burns. People who do not know about the major difference between the black and brown Henna often get unsatisfactory results.
Is Henna safe to use on the skin?
Now that what is a henna tattoo and the basic facts regarding it are discussed, let’s now answer your query is Henna safe to use. The answer is a yes; however, pure Henna is the safest to be used on skin. The organic Henna without the addition of chemicals is safe to use even for children and also on sensitive skin.
Usually, it is recommended to use red Henna, which is the traditional type and is made of organic ingredients to avoid any risks that may be caused by black Henna on the skin. Here is how you can remain on the safe side when applying a henna tattoo:
- Check ingredients properly if you are buying your henna cone from the market. Make sure it is free from chemicals, especially PPD.
- Avoid using black Henna on your skin to minimize the risk of getting skin reactions.
- Use traditional or red Henna, which is safe to be used on the skin.
- Before applying the whole design to any part of your body, make sure to do a patch test and wait for almost fifteen minutes. If there are no side effects seen, you can continue making the pattern you like.
- If you are getting a henna tattoo from someone else, make sure that you are getting it from a professional who has enough knowledge of applying organic Henna and avoiding the chemical-containing ones.