Dental implants are an amazing way to replace missing teeth and boost your self-confidence. However, they’re not the right solution for everyone. If you’re thinking about getting full mouth dental implants, here’s what you need to know.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are surgically placed in the jawbone to serve as a replacement for natural teeth. They act as tooth roots to hold the replacement teeth and can be used to support one or more false teeth, called crowns.
Implants are a popular choice for people who have lost teeth due to injury or disease. They’re also an option for people who want to avoid dentures or bridges.
When Should You Consider Dental Implants?
Dentists are often asked, “when is the best time to get dental implants?” Like most things in life, the answer isn’t black and white. It depends on various factors, including your overall health, how many teeth you’re replacing, and whether or not you have any healthy adjacent teeth that can be used as anchors for the implant.
But in general, here are some instances when dental implants might be the right choice for you:
- If you’ve had a tooth extracted. Dental implants can be used to replace a tooth that has been extracted.
- If you want to avoid dentures or bridges. Dental implants might be a good option if you’re not interested in wearing dentures or having a bridge.
- If you have enough jawbone density to support an implant successfully. For dental implants to be successful, you need to have enough dense bone in your jaw to support them. If you don’t have enough bone, you might need a bone graft before getting dental implants.
- If you’re missing one or more teeth. Dental implants can be used to replace one or more missing teeth. The implants will be surgically placed in your mouth where they can act as support for the replacement teeth, called crowns.
- If you want to improve your smile and self-esteem. In situations where you’re unhappy with your smile because of a broken or cracked tooth, dental implants can give you a complete smile and help boost your self-confidence
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. The best candidates for dental implants are:
- People with healthy gums
- People with enough jaw bone density to support the implant
- People who are committed to oral hygiene
- People who are in good overall health
Talk to your dentist if you’re unsure about being a good candidate for dental implants. They can help you understand your options and decide if implants are right for you.
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants have several advantages over other tooth replacement options. They’re:
- Strong and durable: Dental implants are designed to be a permanent solution for missing teeth. They’re surgically placed in your jawbone, where they fuse with the bone over time. This makes them very stable and ensures they won’t slip or move around while you’re chewing or speaking.
- Permanent: Once dental implants are placed, they’re permanent. You won’t have to remove them for cleaning or at night like you would with dentures. In fact, with proper care, they can last a lifetime.
- Better for your overall health: Dental implants don’t rely on adjacent teeth for support like bridges do. This helps keep your remaining teeth healthy. And because they look and feel like natural teeth, they also help you chew and speak normally.
- Natural looking: Dental implants are designed to look and function like natural teeth. They can be used to support one or more crowns, which will be matched to the color of your natural teeth so that they blend in seamlessly.
- Preserve jawbone density: Dental implants help preserve jawbone density. This is important because when you lose a tooth, the bone around it begins to deteriorate. This can lead to a sunken-in appearance and an increased risk of tooth loss. Dental implants stimulate the growth of new bone, which helps preserve the density of your jawbone.
- Improved quality of life: Dental implants can improve your quality of life in a number of ways. They can help you feel more confident about your smile and appearance. And because they’re permanent, you won’t have to worry about them slipping or moving around like dentures.
Are dental implants worth it?
This is a question that people often ask a lot, and it’s one that the answer varies with different individuals. Dental implants are a long-term investment in your oral health, both in terms of money and time. They’re not right for everyone, but they can be life-changing for the right person. If you’re considering dental implants in Cypress, talk to an experienced dentist about whether they’re right for you.