The skin naturally loses its firmness with age, causing it to look saggy, leathery, or wrinkled. This is due to the reduced production of collagen and elastin, two proteins that help the skin remain firm and toned.
Fortunately, different procedures can address this skin issue. These procedures can be surgical or non-surgical, depending on one’s preference. Currently, many people looking to improve their sagging skin choose non-surgical options.
Non-surgical options are popular as they help restore a smoother, firmer, and toned appearance. And they’re also cost-effective and take little to no downtime for recovery.
If you choose to go through skin tightening, below are some things to expect in your first session.
Types Of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Treatments
Different types of non-surgical treatments can tighten and rejuvenate the skin, such as ultrasound, radiofrequency, laser resurfacing, thread lift, and Renuvion skin tightening.
These treatments stimulate collagen and elastin production in deeper skin layers. Here’s a rundown of standard non-surgical skin tightening treatments.
This treatment uses radiofrequency energy to heat the skin, triggering collagen production in the epidermal layers of the skin. Each session takes less than an hour.
With radiofrequency treatment, you’ll see results within two to four months. For optimal results, you need to complete multiple treatments. Two to six sessions are typically recommended at an interval of seven to 10 days.
The advantage of this treatment is that it can be performed in-office. It also has little to no discomfort and no downtime.
This treatment uses ultrasound technology to heat the skin at a depth of 5mm to promote collagen production in problem areas like the chin, neck, and brow. It’s recommended for older patients looking to reduce visible signs of aging.
Each session takes about 60 to 90 minutes, without downtime for recovery. However, you may experience mild discomfort like swelling or redness. Depending on your skin’s plasticity, you’ll need one or two treatments. Afterward, wait for three months to see the best results.
- Laser Resurfacing
As the name suggests, this treatment uses a laser to produce heat for tightening the skin. This laser heats the collagen directly under the skin’s surface. Once heated, the skin will contract and produce more collagen. Laser resurfacing is also used to make minor skin flaws like fine lines, age spots, and scars less visible.
With laser resurfacing, multiple sessions may be necessary. As with the radiofrequency and ultrasound treatments, it might take several months to see the difference.
Benefits Of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
Some benefits of non-surgical skin tightening are as follows:
- Makes Skin Firmer: Skin tightening treatments firm up loose skin, reshaping the face and body and contributing to a youthful appearance. These treatments can also reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- Lifts Sagging Skin: Skin tightening treatments can provide a noticeable lifting effect.
- Low Risk: These treatments are low-risk procedures and can be performed in-office. You don’t have to worry about the risks typically associated with surgery, like infection and adverse reactions to anesthesia.
- Minimal Pain: These procedures do not involve injections or stitches; you don’t need to go under the knife. However, you might experience some discomfort that can be alleviated with pain relief medication.
These benefits make non-surgical treatments worth considering.
Limitations Of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
There are limitations to consider if you’re thinking of undergoing skin tightening treatments. These include the following:
- Desired results will not be achieved immediately after a skin tightening session. You may need multiple treatments and wait several months for optimal results.
- The results of non-surgical treatments aren’t permanent, unlike cosmetic surgery. Therefore, you may need to repeat the treatment every year to maintain the results.
- Skin tightening treatments may not be effective on significant skin sagging.
Furthermore, it’s essential to note that some outcomes might be affected by underlying conditions like skin cancer and diabetes. In addition, patients who scar easily might experience adverse reactions to the treatment.
Side Effects Of Skin Tightening Treatments
Some common side effects after undergoing a skin tightening session include swelling, redness, tingling, bruising, and soreness. However, these are temporary and mild in nature.
In rare cases, infection, muscle weakness, skin burns, contour changes, allergic reactions, or numbness may be experienced after a skin tightening treatment. These may require medical attention.
Skin tightening treatments can help restore your skin’s firmness and smoothness by stimulating collagen and elastin production. Many choose non-surgical procedures because they’re a cost-effective and low-risk alternative to cosmetic surgery.
However, they may not be effective on excessive skin sagging. Although the results are relatively long-lasting, they’re not permanent. So, set realistic expectations and choose trained and certified professionals for your treatments.