Healthy Snack: Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe
Whether you need a light lunch on a hot summer’s day or a quick, but healthy dinner after a busy day, chicken lettuce wraps will satisfy your hunger.
Diced vegetables and ground chicken cooked together in a savory sauce are rested on chilled lettuce leaves — simple, quick to make and guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds!
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
338 calories per serving
- Finely diced caps of 150g of shiitake mushrooms (stems discarded)
- ½ cup finely diced onions
- 1 ½ tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 60g (5 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 12g (2tbsp) rice vinegar
- 12g (2tbsp) soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 head butter lettuce, with leaves, separated
- 500g ground chicken
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat (± 375ºF) before adding the chicken. Season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into smaller chunks while cooking. Cook for 5 – 6 minutes until it is nearly cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and ginger to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Meanwhile, use a small bowl and a whisk to mix the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, pour the sauce over the mixture in the pan and mix it into the vegetable and chicken mixture.
- Set the chilled lettuce leaves on plates with the curling outsides facing upward. Dish the warm mixture into the leaves and serve immediately.