Healthy Dinner Option: Chicken Stir-fry Recipe
A true tried and tested favorite in many a household nationwide, the chicken stir-fry is easy to make, healthy and difficult to dislike. Some popular companion foods to stir-fry include fluffy basmati rice or flaky couscous. We know that whatever you choose, the chicken stir-fry will become a regular recipe in your household!
This meal can easily be converted into a weight-loss option by substituting the fluffy Basmati rice for rough and grainy brown rice – or better yet: cut the carbs completely and opt for a fresh garden salad.
Preparation: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Quantity: 4 servings 276 calories per serving [ratings]
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp corn-starch
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce (light)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- a fresh pepper
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced broccoli or cauliflower heads
- 1 julienne-cut red pepper
- Sauce: Use a small bowl to mix the corn-starch and soy sauce and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and use a fork to whisk it together until the mixture is smooth. Set it aside to rest while you finish the rest of the meal.
- After the sauce is ready, start preparing the chicken by cutting it into small chunks. Make sure that all the vegetables are sliced and all the spices chopped as indicated in the ingredients list. It’s important to slice the veggies thin enough to cook through in time with the rest of the food.
- Use the biggest non-stick wok or skillet that you have and heat the vegetable oil over high heat (±450ºF). Once the oil is sizzling, add the garlic, ginger, and onion. Keep the mixture moving to keep it from burning. When the onion starts softening (about 1 minute in), add the chicken pieces and continuously stir until the meat turns white.
- Mix in the vegetables and don’t forget to keep stirring! (do you now understand why it’s called a STIR-fry?). After about a minute, pour in the sauce and keep stirring until the chicken is cooked through, the vegetables are crisp and the sauce has thickened. Dish onto your companion food of choice and serve with a fresh garden salad.