Rava Upma Recipe - Popular Indian Breakfast
Another amazing dish from the southern region of India, Rava Upma is an excellent choice when it comes to breakfast. It is so easy to make this dish that you will be done with it in just twenty minutes!
If you are looking for a nutritious and tasty breakfast, Rava Upma is perhaps the most perfect choice you can ever make. This traditional dish from southern India is really popular.
The upma recipes is one of the most popular traditional dish from south India. This deliciou breakfast dish is made from rava. This is why most of the time, we call this recipe Rava Upma. There’s many ways to do this Rava Upma recipe.
You can add various seasonings and almost all the vegetables that you like. This recipe depends on the preferences of the cook. Many restaurants and family cook this dish in various ways, let’s see this recipe.
Pro tips for making Rava Upma
Roasting your rava is a key point in making a great non-sticky, delicious upma. If you wish to further reduce the time, you should go for a doubly roasted suji or rava.
As for vegetable oil, using an appropriate amount of oil is yet another one of the key steps that you have to take in order to ensure you don’t end up with a sticky Upma.
As for making a choice of which rava type to use, the most common on is the Bombay rava. In case you wish to get an alternative name, here is a short list:
Amount of water to be used; to make a perfect rava upma dish, the rule of the thumb is to use at least four cups of water for one cup of rava.
- One cup of Sooji or rava or semolina or Bombay rava
- two tablespoons of ghee or vegetable oil or butter
- Half teaspoon of mustard
- Half teaspoon of cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of urad legumes or daal
- One teaspoon of channa legumes or daal
- Two tablespoons of peanuts
- Curry leaves
- One small sized onion (preferably chopped or thinly sliced)
- Two to three cups of water
Recipe for Rava Upma
- Roast the rava up on a medium gas flame until it becomes crunchy.
- Never ever brown the rava since the flavor or it will change too much.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool it to normal temperature.
- Make sure you chop up all the chilies and onions.
- Add the vegetable oil to a preheated pan.
- Next up add all the channa daal, urad daal, cumin seeds and mustard.
- Fry these till the legumes turn to yellow golden colour.
- Add the green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Then further pour some water and add salt to the same as per your requirement.
- Cook till the water starts boiling.
- Then set the gas flame to medium level.
- With one of your hands pours the rava in a gradual stream to the already boiling water, meanwhile also stirring the water with your other hand which is free.
- Stir the mixture properly and break any unnecessary lumps of rava.
- Cover the pan and keep cooking till the remaining water.
- Open up the covering and stir the contents just one time.
- Remember to give it a quick stir.
- Cover the rava upma and allow to cool to a normal temperature.
- Your delicious rava upma is ready to be served.
315 calories per serving.
Hello everyone, I am the main writer for SIND Canada. I’ve been writing articles for more than 10 years and I like sharing my knowledge. I’m currently writing for many websites and newspapers. All my ideas come from my very active lifestyle, every day I ask myself hundreds of questions to doctors, specialists, and physicians. I always keep myself very informed to give you the best information. In all my years as a computer scientist made me become an incredible researcher. I believe that any information should be free, we want to know more every day because we learn every day. Most of our medical sources come from Canada.ca and government research. You can contact me on our forum or by email at email@example.com.