Leavened Indian Flatbread (Naan Bread)
This recipe of Indian flatbread goes well with almost everything! Quick and easy to do, but you will love this one!
Preparation: 2 hours
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Quantity: 6 servings
328 calories per serving
- 5 teaspoons sugar.
- 5 teaspoons dry yeast.
- A cup of warm water.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 6 tablespoons ghee.
- Vegetable oil for greasing.
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt.
- 3 teaspoons of onion seeds.
How to prepare the Naan Bread:
- Add the sugar and dry yeast to the warm water, and stir to dissolve the yeast.
- Cover the mixture for 10 minutes until it begins to froth and set it aside.
- Into an oversized bowl, mix the salt and flour, and sift through a fine sieve.
- yeast mixture, yogurt, and ghee are added and use your fingers to mix until having a soft dough.
- Continue mix the dough until it becomes smooth and stretchy.
- Lubricant a bowl with a few drops of oil, then put the dough in it and cover to rest for 90 minutes until the dough doubles the volume.
- Hit the dough down and knead again for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough and roll it to form 8 round balls.
- Lightly flour and roll out the balls until you get a circle of 7 to 8 inches and 0.5 inches thick.
- Pull one edge of the circle gently to have a teardrop shape.
- Preheat the oven 400 F.
- Lay a bit of aluminum foil on the tray of the oven and grease it with few drops of the vegetable oil.
- Brush the dough balls lightly with ghee, and sprinkles the onion seeds over the dough.
- Put the pieces in the oven until it begins to puff out and have a light brown color.
- Flip the dough pieces and repeat.
- Serve hot in a basket.
Check out our other Indian recipes!