Ketogenic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Looking for low-carb meal ideas? Look no further!
You might be doing the keto diet for healing or weight loss or maybe because you’re feeling like you need a cleanse from starch, these delectable low-carb keto recipes are worthy of being included in your monthly meal plan.
The ketogenic diet, in simple words, is a really low-carb diet. It’s also referred to as the low-carb high-fat diet or LCHF. The correct way to follow a keto diet isn’t about an-all meat diet. The major focus should be on fat consumption.
Keto diets are excellent if you’re planning to lose weight in a short amount of time. Keto diets are effective at reducing harmful abdominal fat which can drastically reduce the risk of type II diabetes and heart disease.
Keto diets are extremely effective at lowering triglycerides (fat molecules responsible for increasing the risk of heart disease). As Keto diets contain fewer carbs, they increase blood levels of HDL cholesterol. The best way to reduce your insulin and blood sugar levels is to reduce your intake of carbs. This might also reverse type II diabetes.
This Chicken Pot Pie has a rich, creamy filling and a decadent crust which makes it our favourite comfort food recipe.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Quantity: 8 servings
219 calories per serving
Ingredients to make the filling:
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh peas
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup carrots, washed, peeled and finely diced
- 4 ounces finely chopped yellow onion
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts, cut into ½” cubes
- 1 tbsp butter
To make the topping:
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Use butter to grease a 9” round baking tin or pan and keep it aside.
To make the filling:
- Take a pan and heat it on medium heat and melt butter.
- Add chicken and cook until it starts to brown on the sides but isn’t cooked completely.
- Add carrots and onion along with pepper and salt. Reduce the heat to low and cook until onions start to brown slightly but are still tender. Toss in the thyme and garlic and cook for a minute before adding the vinegar.
- Once the vinegar has evaporated, increase the heat to medium and simmer the broth for 15-18 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Toss in the peas and heavy cream, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the mixture has a gravy-like texture.
To make the topping:
- Take a mixing bowl and mix together salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, flax seeds and almond flour.
- Use a pastry blender to cut butter and mix in the dry ingredients until the mix looks mealy.
- Whisk the egg white and sour cream in another bowl before adding it to the dry ingredients.
- Knead into a smooth ball. Place it on a counter dusted with flour or parchment paper.
- Use the rolling pin to roll out the dough in an 8” circle.
- Place the chicken filling in the greased baking dish.
- Carefully place the biscuit dough on the filling.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the topping begins to turn brown.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Protein: 24 g
Fiber: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Fat: 11 g
Author Bio: Shristi Patni
Shristi is a content writer and owner of F and B Recipes. She enjoys writing about Intuitive Counseling and Spiritual Mind Treatment. Formerly the Chief Content Officer at Raletta, she is currently working on her second cookbook.
Gravatar ID: email@example.com
Social Media Handles: