Black Lentils Stew (Kaali Daal)
Other types of Indian food, Kaali Daal is a stew of black lentils. Also known as Maa Ki Dal, it means Mom Lentils.
Indian Black Lentils Stew, known by its regional names such as Kaali Daal or Maa Ki Dal, is a hearty and flavorful dish originating from North India. This classic Punjabi dish is a staple in many households and is loved for its rich and creamy texture. The dish is made using whole black lentils, also known as urad dal, which are slow-cooked until they are tender and creamy. The lentils are simmered in a spiced tomato-based gravy, often enriched with butter and cream, creating a luscious and indulgent flavor profile.
Kaali Daal is not only delicious but also nutritious, as black lentils are a good source of protein and essential nutrients. The slow cooking process allows the lentils to absorb the flavors of the spices, resulting in a comforting and aromatic stew. This dish is commonly served with rice or Indian bread, such as naan or roti, making it a satisfying and wholesome meal.
You will love this tasty dish directly from India. They call this recipe Mah Ki Daal in Punjabi.
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 1 Hour
Soaking time: Overnight
Total time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
174 calories per serving
Ingredients for Black Lentils Stew (Maa Ki Dal)
- 2 onions (large-sized and thinly sliced also, you can use 5 small onions instead)
- 2 tbsp ghee (oil can be used instead)
- 3 cups water or as needed
- 1/2 cup full-milk cream (beaten into a smooth consistency)
- 1 tbsp garlic (crushed)
- 2 green chilies (slit and chopped into bits)
- 2-inch sized ginger (minced)
- Asafetida pinch
- 2 tbsps. vegan or neutral oil
- 2 large-sized tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup split black lentils soaked overnight in water (Kaali daal; occasionally called as urad daal and maa ki daal)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt (matching personal taste)
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
How to prepare Black Lentils Stew (Mah Ki Daal)
- Soak black lentils (Kaali daal) in excess water and leave overnight.
- Drain and place the lentils in a large cooking pot and add 3 cups of water. On high flame boil it and blitz it with green chilies, a sliced onion and asafetida.
- Add salt according to your personal preference.
- Keep boiling the lentils until adequately cooked and soft. Then shift aside.
- Grab another cooking pan and add in the leftover onion peels. When tender, add the ginger and garlics, both of which should be crushed. Cook for approximately a single minute so that they turn golden without over-browning them.
- Toss in the dices of tomato, cumin powder, coriander powder and finally the red chili powder. Cook the new ingredients for another 5 minutes before adding in the boiled lentils.
- Add some water and continue simmering for 10 minutes or more until thick gravy is obtained.
- On the side, whisk some full-milk cream and add over the cooking lentils. Turn off the flame at this point.
- Prepare the garnish. Spoon in ghee in a frying pan and melt it. Place the cumin seeds and watch steadily. They will change color and send a fresh aroma.
- Pour the garnish onto the main lentils’ dish and it will steam up.
- The Black lentils are ready to serve.
- Indulge in this whole meal recipe and explore the contrasting flavors combined with a ghee aroma. There is nothing like the ghee-aroma of a warm home dish. The nutrional value of this dish is also very high so you might want to incorporate it into your meals often. And this is just one of the various benefits. The lentils are readily available oat every corner-store and also quite afforda.