Irio Kenyan Recipe Mashed Sweet Potato, Peas & Corn
Irio is one of the most delicious local meals in Kenya. It is served in almost every Kenyan household and is more popular in the central region. It is popularly served with grilled beef steak.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Quantity: 4 Servings
358 calories per serving
- 2-3 boiled corns
- 2 cups of boiled peas
- Cooking oil
- 2 teaspoonfuls of Salt
- 1 Garlic
- A cup of water
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- ½ kilogram of Potatoes
- One bulb onion
- Green vegetables
- Green hot pepper
Instructions steps by steps
- Put oil in a dry pan and place the pan on fire.
- Add sliced onions and allow them to cook for 2 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the sliced potatoes and evenly stir for about 2 minutes.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow the cooking to take place with reduced fire.
- After the potatoes sweat and cook for about 10 minutes, add the crushed garlic and sliced tomatoes at the same time.
- Stir evenly and add a cup of water to the mixture.
- Add the boiled corn and peas then mix evenly and allow them to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and after 10 minutes, the potatoes will have cooked and the mixture can be stirred to mix.
- Green vegetables are added on top as a layer and allowed to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- A cooking stick is used to press on the food and mix the sticky paste.
- Continue pressing and turning around until everything mixes and achieve a greenish colour.
- Fire is reduced and further pressing continues and the mixing complete.
- The irio is now ready and can be served with grilled beef steak and salad.