UPMA Recipe (uppumavu & uppititu)
One of the most famous breakfasts in India. This recipe made with semolina is really healthy and you should try this today. After going to India for two times, the family of my friend Rakesh made me this amazing breakfast.
I was so impressed that I had to make this recipe. This version of the UPMA is really delicious and so tasty! This recipe is also known as Rava Upma or uppumavu in India.
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Quantity: 6 servings
415 calories per serving
- 2 cup of semolina ( UPMA )
- 1 big sized onion – sliced finely
- 2 green chili – chopped
- 2 tbsp. of ginger powder
- 5 cups of water
- One teaspoon of urad legumes or daal
- One teaspoon of channa legumes or daal
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp. oil or butter (Ghee)
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
How to prepare the Rava UPMA
- Start by chopping the vegetables, onion, green chilies and coriander into small pieces of 1/2 cm or less.
- Heat a frying pan to medium, and then add the semolina.
- Roast the semolina for some time and keep stirring it every 30 seconds until it looks dry. Do not overcook the semolina (change color to brown). Reserve.
- In another pan, start by heating the oil or butter with the mustard seeds. Fry them for about 2-3 minutes at medium heat. After this, incorporate the urad legumes/channa legumes or daal to the frying pan. Cook again for 3 minutes.
- Include the onion, green chilly, ginger powder, cumin seeds, coriander, and the curry leaves to the frying pan for 3 minutes.
- Add the water after that, with the salt and sugar.
- When the water start to boil, put the heat to low and then start adding the semolina in small parts. Put 1/2 cup of semolina then stir a lot, then redo the steps until all the semolina is in the frying pan.
- Cook until there’s no more water and then the UPMA will be complete, it should be quick.
- You can serve it with a mold to make it look like a bowl.