Best Hospitals for Spinal Surgery
Chronic back pain is diagnosed when the pain lasts for three months or more. Chronic pain can be caused by various spinal pathologies and diseases, as well as by trauma.
Surgical treatment of chronic back pain is recommended when conservative treatment of spinal diseases has not led to the expected result, and the patient’s quality of life decreases as a consequence of constant pain syndrome.
When surgery is needed?
Depending on the cause, chronic pain that requires surgical intervention includes chronic pain associated with herniated intervertebral discs, spinal canal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, fractures and various spinal injuries. This group also includes chronic pain caused by degenerative diseases of the intervertebral discs, which are associated with the natural process of age-related discs degeneration.
Spinal surgery is required when the following pathologies are present:
- Spinal cord injuries and their complications (when the functioning of the spinal cord and its roots is not impaired).
- Severe deformities of the spine (scoliosis, kyphosis). Orthopedic surgery is performed when the spinal cord is compressed and neurological symptoms develop.
- Vertebral dislocation (can lead to abnormalities of the spinal cord roots).
- Spinal cord tumors (can cause pelvic organ disorders, radicular syndrome, and paresis).
- Pain syndrome that leads to disability and does not respond to conservative therapy.
Spinal surgery for herniated discs
A herniated disc is a very common spinal condition that can damage the spinal nerves, spinal cord, and vertebrae itself. The development of a herniated disc may result in other serious spinal conditions that are accompanied by pain syndrome. Surgery is indicated for patients with herniated discs when other therapies have not led to the expected result and the disease is progressing, accompanied by chronic pain and neurological disorders, and no other options have been left except for special surgery.
Surgical treatment of intervertebral disc herniation can include:
- Microdiscectomy, when there is a need to remove protruding parts of the intervertebral disc.
- Laminectomy, if it’s possible to eliminate pain associated with nerve entrapment as a result of a herniated disc by removing one or two vertebral arches.
- Vertebroplasty, when the outer part of the vertebra is damaged slightly and the disc can be repaired. This type of spine surgery involves restoring the part of the vertebra with a special substance.
- Endoprosthetics, performed in the most severe cases of the disease, when a herniated disc has led to irreversible problems in the spine.
Best hospitals for spinal surgery
When looking for the best hospitals for spinal surgery, it’s necessary to pay attention to the specialization and equipment of the medical center. There are many specialized hospitals performing various procedures.
The list of the best hospitals for spine surgery includes:
- University Hospital Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany
- University Hospital Wuerzburg, Germany
- University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany
- Charite University Hospital Berlin, Germany
- University Hospital Erlangen, Germany
If you need help with choosing a medical center among the best hospitals for spinal surgery, Booking Health will always assist you.
Spinal surgery abroad during a lockdown
You may have noticed that the list of the best hospitals for spinal surgery includes German medical centers. And this is no surprise since the health system in Germany ranks among the most well-functioning ones in the world. According to the statistics, Germany also ranks first in diagnostic accuracy.
The undeniable advantage of German medicine is explained by the latest diagnostic technology, unique equipment for surgical interventions, huge experience (German orthopedic surgeons treat many foreign patients), and excellent functioning of the German health care system, ensuring control of medical centers in the country.
Lockdown limitations brought more confusion for people planning to undergo therapy abroad. And Booking Health is here to make it easier for you.
Booking Health resolves all the organizational issues, including paperwork, translations, visa issuing during the lockdown, booking accommodation, etc. For more information about the treatment abroad, visit the Booking Health website.