5 Types Of Water To Drink To Keep You Healthy
Water is an essential element required to support life on earth. The human body is comprised of 70 percent water, which gets lost through sweat and urine. This is the reason why nutritionists and experts emphasize the need to be hydrated at all times.
The tasteless and colorless elixir of life carries many essential functions such as having nutrients and oxygen to the cells, maintaining the electrolyte (sodium) balance, flushing bacteria out of your bladder, aiding digestion, preventing constipation, etc.
Lately, water consumption has seen new trends and excellent different types of water. This article will give an overview of some of the most common types of water, along with beneficial insights into how they are healthy.
Alkaline water is produced through a process called electrolysis. The process separates positive and negatively charged streams by running an electric current through the water. This type of system yields negatively charged alkaline water.
Water molecules are broken down into tiny clusters as they pass through an alkaline water filter cartridge. This process makes the water more digestible. One of the significant benefits of alkaline water is its high pH level (ranges from 8 to 9.5) which neutralizes your body acid.
Health benefits of alkaline water:
- Easy absorption by your body
- Antioxidant-rich that promote healthy cell growth
- Promotes the production of free radicals
- Reduces acidity to protect you from diseases
Mineral water is harvested from underground sources, which makes it naturally rich in minerals. The essential minerals give it a reputation for healthy drinking water. It is usually sourced from wells. Further, it goes through a physical process of filtration. It may seem to be easy because it is readily available in grocery stores and supermarkets, but it goes through a thorough process to help us enjoy the benefits of drinking mineral water.
Mineral water is not produced by any method of chemical filtration. Owing to this, it retains a high content of naturally occurring minerals, which provide a range of great health benefits. The addition of minerals also gives the water a characteristic salty taste.
Health benefits of mineral water:
- High levels of calcium to help strengthen bones
- It contains iron to help deliver oxygen to the bloodstream
- It contains metabolizing minerals that help in breaking down fat
- Detoxifies your body from harmful substances
- No added chemicals like chlorine
Tap water is one of the most common types of water found on earth. It is the cheapest form of clean drinking water available. It can be sourced from rain, landfall off, or flow from rivers before being contained in dams. It is then disinfected and filtered using chemicals like chlorine, fluoride, and chloramine.
Chemical treatments or chlorine are used to remove microorganisms, including bacteria and viruses that may cause harmful diseases. All these chemicals are used in amounts that meet the health guidelines.
Health benefits of tap water:
- It contains natural minerals such as calcium and magnesium
Filtered tap water
Filtered tap water comes from your building’s water supply system. It goes through a filter system at your home’s entry point. Many filter systems can be set up to give you your individual desired drinking water quality. These water filter systems clean the water through two steps – mechanical and chemical filtration.
Firstly the tap water is filtered to remove the sedimental small particles. The filter system contains micron size filters for the water to get free from contaminants. The smaller the filter system, the more contaminants and chemicals are removed. Further, the water goes through a range of specialized filters according to your requirements.
Health benefits of filtered tap water:
- Filters out microorganisms and bacteria
- Reduces the levels of dissolved solids and sediment
- Improves the taste, smell, and color of water
- It can be beneficial for developing children’s immune systems
Sparkling water has become one of the most popular types of water. Sparkling water may be spring water, purified water, or even mineral water. It is generally used for making alcoholic or sweet beverages. It is cheaper than purchasing bottled sparkling water. It is produced through a carbonation process that involves the infusion of carbon dioxide (C02) gas into the water to create suspended bubbles.
A machine called a carbonation system is used for carbonating the water. This system consists of in-built sensor controls that monitor pressure levels of the water. Based on the required level of carbonation in your sparkling water, you can choose specific sparkling water systems.
Health benefits of sparkling water:
- A healthier alternative to soda-sugary beverages
- No added sugar, salt, or flavoring
- An alternative to bottled water which is environmentally sustainable
The Bottom Line
You may have a preference for which type of water is best, but no one type promises more health benefits than the others.
So long as the water you are drinking is clean and safe, the main focus is to ensure that you stay hydrated and drink enough water regularly.
- Jamie A Koufman, Nikki Johnston. Potential benefits of pH 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease, 2012 Jul;121(7):431-4. doi: 10.1177/000348941212100702.
- J Guillemant, H T Le, C Accarie, et al. Mineral water as a source of dietary calcium: acute effects on parathyroid function and bone resorption in young men, 2000 Apr;71(4):999-1002. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/71.4.999.